Friday, February 22, 2019

Destiny's Embrace- Beverly Jenkins



'Okay,' I said to myself as I walked through the library. 'I have enough books at home, I'm going to read a few from my own shelf, I'm not going to check any books out this time.' And then I walked by the display of books by black authors for Black History Month. And all my resolve went up in a puff of smoke and a blur of motion as I snatched up Destiny's Embrace by Beverly Jenkins.

In my defense, I've wanted to read one of Ms. Jenkins's books ever since I saw her in Love Between the Covers, a documentary on romance novels and authors and the industry surrounding them (if you haven't seen this, it's wonderful). I enjoyed everything she had to say and looked her up on my next library trip. At the time, my library only had her work in ebooks and I wasn't reading those at the time (long story why, but it involved being frightened of losing my momentum for reading down my Goodreads TBR list), but she's never fallen off my radar. And now, she's on it in a big, big way.

The year is 1885. Thirty-year-old Mariah Cooper, the daughter of a mean-spirited, abusive hag, lives in Philadelphia, where she works as a seamstress in her mother's shop and is occasionally courted by the weak-willed Tillman Porter. When her mother goes too far, Mariah flees to her aunt's house across town, and within weeks she's on a train bound for a new life as a housekeeper in California. She's determined to become her own woman, leaving the browbeaten, unloved version of herself behind for good.

Logan Yates lives and works on the profitable ranch he owns with his loving stepmother and brothers. Sure, his house smells- and okay, looks- like a barnyard, but that's just the bachelor way, isn't it? Alanza, his stepmother, takes the liberty of hiring a housekeeper. Enter the lovely Mariah, and she and Logan cannot butt heads fast enough. Each decision to be made is one they can spar over, and Logan can't stop thinking about his alluring new employee. He's made it clear that he has no interest in marriage, now or ever...but Mariah may have changed all of that for good.

It's been a long time since I read a historical romance novel, but this was just plain fun to read. There's enough steam to make it spicy, but the sex scenes aren't terribly graphic. Ms. Jenkins's style never veers into the purple prose I remember reading in the romance novels of my youth; there are no long, drawn-out descriptions of clothing or scenery, just enough to create a crystal-clear image in the reader's mind of the beautiful California ranch land Logan owns and the finely-sewn blouses and skirts Mariah has created. Her female characters are strong but not so over-the-top that they're not believable for the times they live in. While this is a typical romance in that it ends happily (and don't we all need that so badly these days? Heavens knows I do), there are several things that make this stand out, including a scene in which a small parade of local men come by the ranch to propose to Mariah, and another outside a jewelry store, after another woman notices Mariah's (happy) tears and inquires after her. That one brought tears to my eyes as well. But what stood out most...Let me backtrack a little.

The stigma around romance may have faded a bit over the years, but be assured, it hasn't left entirely, and that's something I learned in my own home last night. Upon noticing my copy of Destiny's Embrace on the kitchen island, my husband squinted at it, then said, "Whose book is that?"

"Mine," I responded.

He laughed. "That's what you're reading these days? I would've thought you'd be reading something more intellectual."

Before I could bean him in the head with a rock like Mariah did to Logan, he left to attend to our daughter, leaving me to mentally scoff, Okay, man who reads comic books.

Which is entirely my point. There's nothing wrong with comic books, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with romance novels. Not everyone needs to read, say, a calculus textbook at all times; it's totally okay to read for straight-up entertainment if that's what you're looking for and what you need at the time. Reading is reading, and anything that gets anyone reading is a wonderful thing. The joke is really on my husband here, because I learned a lot from this book, including about


  • Calafia, the fictional warrior queen often depicted as the Spirit of California
  • James Beckwourth, the fur trapper and African-American pioneer who discovered the mountain pass in the Sierra Nevadas between Reno, Nevada and Portola, California
  • William Leidesdorff, who helped found what became San Francisco
  • Estabanico/Estevanico, one of the first African-born men to reach the continental US
  • Biddy Mason, a nurse and midwife who also founded the First African Methodist Episcopal Church in Los Angeles.

I never learned about any of those people in school, so if this is what a non-intellectual book looks like, I'll be over here, buried under a pile of non-intellectual books, plenty of them with Beverly Jenkins embossed on the front.

The other really great thing about this book is that it's changed the way I think towards historicals, or at least some historicals- or maybe even historicals back when I last read them. I think I'm more willing to give them a chance, and I definitely want to read more historicals by authors of color, because that's a perspective that I need more of in my reading life. I'm halfway tempted to head back to the library and dig through that Black History Month display again...but I'm going to have to hold off, because today's library trip yielded another stack of books.

So much for reading from my own shelves, again.

Are you a fan of historical romance? Have you read Beverly Jenkins? If you can recommend other historical romances by authors of color, I'm listening (and scrawling down the names, and checking my library's website)!



Visit Beverly Jenkins's website here.

Follow her on Twitter here.

4 comments:

  1. Alyssa Cole and Courtney Milan are both great. They write both contemporary and historical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Alyssa Cole! I read A Princess In Theory last year and really enjoyed it!!! Courtney Milan is also on my list to try; I follow her on Twitter and she's awesome.

      Delete
  2. In high school and college I devoured romance like there was no tomorrow and then after that I avoided it like the plague. Unless it came as a side dish in a mystery or fantasy novel I was reading. Right now I am reading a romance called Getting Hot With a Scot, so I think I think it's safe to say I am back to reading romances again. (Although I admit I find that title a bit embarrassing--and keep telling myself I'm being silly for feeling that way. I'm still working on breaking myself of that).

    I haven't read anything by Beverly Jenkins, but I do want to. I think I have one of her books on my TBR shelf to read and I am looking forward to giving it a try. I admit historical romance isn't my favorite sub-genre of the romance genre. I tend to lean more toward paranormal romance or romantic suspense, but I think it's more a matter of me just needing to find which authors work best for me. I mean, I love general historical fiction.

    I do want to give Alyssa Cole and Courtney Milan a try, the two Heather suggested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In general, I enjoy historical fiction, which is something I'm kind of just now remembering. I read a ton of it as a kid, and it's only in the past few years that I've really gotten away from it. Historical romances as well, and I'm still a little confused as to why it happened. I think I'm ready to start including more of it into my reading life again. I've never tried paranormal romances, it's never been something that's called to me, but I'm all about challenging myself this year, so I might have to try.

      I think I've seen Getting Hot with a Scot floating around Twitter! I haven't read any Scot-themed romances (other than Outlander), but I have to say, that one tempts me, as do Courtney Milan's books. I'll get to her eventually!

      Courtney Milan is also on my list- seriously, at this point, my list is just neverending

      Delete