Wednesday, February 27, 2019

We'll Fly Away- Bryan Bliss



It is easy to forgive the innocent. It is the guilty who test our morality. People are more than the worst thing they've ever done.
                                                                    -Sister Helen Prejean


If you're looking for a book that reaches out and punches you in the gut until you're doubled over and gasping for air, We'll Fly Away by Bryan Bliss is the book you need.

Luke and Toby are high school seniors, two best friends whom every adult has failed miserably their entire lives. Luke's dad took off years ago, leaving him with his piss-poor excuse for a mother who constantly leaves zero food in the house and five-year-old twin brothers for whom he's majorly responsible. Toby's dad uses him as his personal punching bag, something the teachers at school pretend not to notice. It's always been Luke and Toby, the only ones looking out for each other, and they've got plans: Luke's got a wrestling scholarship to Iowa next year and they'll both be gone then, leaving North Carolina and all the many ways it's hurt them behind.

But it's never quite as simple as that. With the introduction of Annie, a new girl from Chicago, Luke and Toby's friendship is tested for the first time, and Toby finds himself looking for comfort and approval in places he knows he shouldn't. Things aren't getting any easier for Luke, either; he's got the wrestling match of the year coming up, and his mom has brought home a new boyfriend (an adult who calls himself Ricky; I'll let you infer what kind of guy he is). Toby's dad gives him a car, but of course there's a catch; Mom and Ricky disappear; Toby starts hanging around with an older woman whom Luke knows isn't good for him. All these events lead up to a terrible conclusion, one that's made known at the start of the book: Luke is writing letters to Toby, the only way he can communicate with him, because Luke is on Death Row.

There's a bit of a twist at the end that I think most readers will see coming long before its arrival. What we're truly kept guessing, though, is exactly what Luke has done in order to end up with a death sentence hanging over his head. There's an obvious answer, but his life is full of so many horrible people (whom Mr. Bliss is careful to never let become caricatures) that the obvious answer just wasn't the only one. After I finished the book, I logged it in my Goodreads account, then went upstairs and burst into tears in the bathroom.

This is an emotionally heavy story that will rip your heart out, Indiana Jones-style, and run it over a few times with the lawn mower for good measure. Almost every facet of Luke and Toby's lives is a tragedy; their only escape from the grueling horror of their everyday reality is their time together, often spent in a secret hideout in the woods. But as things change for them, there's a new, fresh heartbreak on every page, and you'll be met with the stark realization of exactly how we treat children who have been failed every step of the way: as so much garbage which we're eager to be rid of, cheering on their deaths as we do.

Back in the '90s, I read Dead Man Walking: The Eyewitness Account of the Death Penalty That Sparked a National Debate by Sister Helen Prejean (normal reading for a 14-year-old? Probably not), which sparked a lifelong interest in prison, how prisoners are treated, and an opposition to the death penalty. So when I saw We'll Fly Away as a suggestion for Book Riot's 2019 Read Harder Challenge (as an epistolary novel), as soon as I read the synopsis, I was in. And I wasn't disappointed, although I'm still in tears over the story, and the injustice of it all. I don't think this is a book I'll get over anytime soon, nor do I think I'm meant to. This is the kind of book that stays with you forever, and maybe it's the kind of book that will have you reconsidering the way you look at the people around you.

We'll Fly Away reads easy but it isn't an easy read, and I don't think there are words for how deeply I recommend this. Read it with a box of tissues nearby, along with some anger management skills, because you'll need both.


Visit Bryan Bliss's website here.

Follow him on Twitter here.





4 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds just absolutely heartbreaking! I hadn't heard of this one, so thanks for putting it on my radar.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of it either before finding it on BookRiot's list, although I have read the author in the past, but I enjoyed this book much more. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh WOW, this hadn't been on my radar AT ALL- I think I saw it in passing, but that was it, but I kind off need it in my life now! I loooove books that pack emotional punches so I am HERE for it! Great review, so glad you loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This book deserves ALL the attention, it's so, so, SO good!!!

      Delete